I get questions all the time about my closet. They usually are something like….Where do you keep it all? Is it overflowing? How do you keep it organized? I also get a lot of questions about purging my closet and how I decide what to keep vs what I get rid of. So let’s talk about it! I’ll break down my method for staying organized and answer all the above questions.
1. Is my closet overflowing?
While it’s no secret that I like to shop, it’s also not practical to do all that shopping when there is no possible way you could wear it all. So anytime I bring in a new item/item’s, I get rid of that same amount (usually more) that I’m bringing in. So my closet is never really growing. I’m just replacing older things for newer things.
2. How do I keep it organized?
Well I’m no expert on organization, but I like to keep things neat in my closet. I organize by color, style and season. So dresses and dressier tops are together, casual tops are together, tanks are together etc. And then I color coordinate each section. This helps me easily navigate and know where to look when I’m on the hunt for a particular item.
3. How do I decide what to keep vs get rid of?
I have a list of 5 questions I ask myself when I’m purging my closet. This helps me make purging quick and easy.
• Is this item still in good condition? (Does it have wash wear, holes, stains etc)
• Does this item still fit and flatter me? (This is especially important for me right now since I just had a baby, and a lot of things are fitting me differently.)
• Have I worn this item in the last 6-12 months?
• Does this item still fit in with the current style and trends?
• Would I buy this item still if I was out shopping right now? (This is the question that always helps me make my final decision if I’m wavering at all.)
Hopefully that list will help you out next time you are cleaning out your closet.
4. What do I do with the item’s I pulled out of my closet during my purging?
I make 3 piles when I’m cleaning out my clothes.
• Sell (these are my nicer more expensive or new with tag items)
• Give (I often times give my no longer needed clothes to my younger sister or the teenage girls at my church)
• Donate (these are the items that maybe have a little more wear to them or that the style is a little more dated)
So those are some of the things that keep me organized. Like I said, I’m no expert on this subject and my closet isn’t something beautiful you will see pinned on Pinterest, but I am very thankful for all that I have. I feel very fortunate and I love to let my sister’s and close friends come over and borrow items when they have a special event coming up. It may seem silly, but If I can share what I have been blessed with, I want to do just that!
Thanks for stopping by!